The clocks have gone back and we’re entering that gloomy time of year when a lot of people feel down about the short days, many get early winter colds and some of us struggle to get up in the dark mornings. All this can make getting to work seem like a bit of a chore and make us feel stuck in a rut.
Well winter comes around every year and most of us just need to find some extra motivation to get used to the idea and get our days and careers back on track in the run up to Christmas and the new year.
Here are our top tips to stop you falling into that winter rut:
- Make sure you get your sleep – staying up late watching TV or partying won’t help you get out of bed in the morning (and it won’t please your boss!)
- Refuel your enthusiasm for your job – go the extra mile and do those things that aren’t strictly in your job description but will prove your worth
- Get out and network – making new contacts (and keeping up with old ones) brings new opportunities – plenty of opportunities during the festive season
- Make sure your social media is up-to-date: give your LinkedIn profile a refresh
- Learn something new – it doesn’t have to be work related – sign up for a language course or something creative that you’ve been meaning to do for ages – new skills bring new opportunities
- Don’t stay in your comfort zone at work – take on those things that you aren’t sure you can handle and find ways to do them – you may surprise yourself!
- And don’t be afraid to ask for help – that’s how we learn
- If you are looking for a new job, don’t wait until the new year – start searching now
- Don’t just read this and move on to the next blog – if you think that a new job will being the motivation you need, then contact us today and we will get you on the right track.
Embrace the chill and beat the winter blues!